Up-Lab Creative Activism Manifesto
As the Miami’s art scene grows in global exposure the role of art and artists in guiding civic awareness towards pending issues of social and economic equity in our city becomes important.
The Up-Lab Creative Activism Manifesto provides a set of core principles that will be used to guide artists and collaborations with Up-Lab. The goal of these principles is to ensure that artistic projects fit Up-Lab’s mission and empower artists with a civic mission for Miamians by Miamians.
- The project should be open to the public and occur in a public space
- The project’s subject focuses on an existing urban context and addresses local social histories, people, neighborhoods, and places.
- The project has a symbolic value for a community or individual in need.
- The project brings awareness of under-represented issues.
- The project should provide an activity/interaction with the public.
- The project is based on renewable materials or sustainable products.
- The project involves collaboration with other artists and local community members and should challenge notions of individual authorship.
Funding (when applicable):
- The artist is paid for the project, including labor, materials and transportation.
- The project funds local labor.
To facilitate the adoption of these principles Up-lab staff will work with artists and community members through the research, development and implementation of their pieces.